Bulgar is my favorite whole grain as it is hearty and goes well in almost everything! Last night I invented this creation which did not disappoint-it satisfied my craving for Mexican food while providing us with lots of fiber and veggie nutrition!
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bell pepper (any color of your choosing)
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 3 cups of cooked Bulgar (you can also use brown rice)
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 12-oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1 6-oz can of diced green chili peppers
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (optional)
Dice and saute onion, garlic bell pepper and jalapeno. Once onion becomes translucent, stir into a bowl with Bulgar, black beans, corn, enchilada sauce, diced green chili peppers and shredded cheese. Transfer into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Top with diced avocado and shredded lettuce.